Development of Computed Tomography AlgorithmsView this Special Issue
Analysis of Cone-Beam Artifacts in off-Centered Circular CT for Four Reconstruction Methods
Cone-beam (CB) acquisition is increasingly used for truly three-dimensional X-ray computerized tomography (CT). However, tomographic reconstruction from data collected along a circular trajectory with the popular Feldkamp algorithm is known to produce the so-called CB artifacts. These artifacts result from the incompleteness of the source trajectory and the resulting missing data in the Radon space increasing with the distance to the plane containing the source orbit. In the context of the development of integrated PET/CT microscanners, we introduced a novel off-centered circular CT cone-beam geometry. We proposed a generalized Feldkamp formula (-FDK) adapted to this geometry, but reconstructions suffer from increased CB artifacts. In this paper, we evaluate and compare four different reconstruction methods for correcting CB artifacts in off-centered geometry. We consider the -FDK algorithm, the shift-variant FBP method derived from the T-FDK, an FBP method based on the Grangeat formula, and an iterative algebraic method (SART). The results show that the low contrast artifacts can be efficiently corrected by the shift-variant method and the SART method to achieve good quality images at the expense of increased computation time, but the geometrical deformations are still not compensated for by these techniques.
- G. T. Herman, Image Reconstruction from Projections, chapter 14, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- F. Natterer, “The Mathematics of Computerized Tomography,” John Wiley & sons, Chichester, NY, USA, 1986.
- A. C. Kak and M. Slaney, Principles of Computerized Tomographic Imaging, IEEE Press, New York, NY, USA, 1987.
- R. Gordon, R. Bender, and G. T. Herman, “Algebraic reconstruction techniques (ART) for three-dimensional electron microscopy and x-ray photography,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 471–481, 1970.
- P. Gilbert, “Iterative methods for the three-dimensional reconstruction of an object from projections,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 105–117, 1972.
- A. H. Andersen and A. C. Kak, “Simultaneous algebraic reconstruction technique (SART): a superior implementation of the art algorithm,” Ultrasonic Imaging, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 81–94, 1984.
- G. T. Herman, A. V. A. Lakshminarayanan, and A. Naparstek, “Convolution reconstruction techniques for divergent beams,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 259–271, 1976.
- G. T. Gullberg, “The reconstruction of Fan Beam Data by filtering the back-projection,” Computer Graphics and Image Processing, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 30–47, 1979.
- C. Hamaker, K. T. Smith, D. C. Solmon, and S. L. Wagner, “The divergent beam X-ray transform,” Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics, vol. 10, pp. 253–283, 1980.
- F. Peyrin, “The generalized back-projection theorem for cone-beam projection data,” IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, vol. 32, pp. 1512–1219, 1985.
- B. D. Smith, “Cone-beam tomography. Recent advances and a tutorial review,” Optical Engineering, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 524–534, 1990.
- G. L. Zeng and G. T. Gullberg, “A cone-beam tomography algorithm for orthogonal circle-and-line orbit,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 563–577, 1992.
- H. Kudo and T. Saito, “Fast and stable cone-beam filtered backprojection method for non-planar orbits,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 747–760, 1998.
- G. Wang, T.-H. Lin, P. Cheng, and D. M. Shinozaki, “A general cone-beam reconstruction algorithm,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 486–496, 1993.
- A. Katsevich, “Theoretically exact filtered backprojection-type inversion algorithm for spiral CT,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 2012–2026, 2002.
- H. Kudo, T. Rodet, F. Noo, and M. Defrise, “Exact and approximate algorithms for helical cone-beam CT,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 49, no. 13, pp. 2913–2931, 2004.
- A. A. Kirillov, “On a problem of IM Gel'fand,” Soviet Mathematics Doklady, vol. 2, pp. 268–269, 1961, English Translation.
- H. K. Tuy, “An inversion formula for cone-beam reconstruction,” SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematic, vol. 43, no. 3-4, pp. 546–552, 1983.
- B. D. Smith, “Cone-beam convolution formula,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 81–87, 1983.
- L. A. Feldkamp, L. C. Davis, and J. W. Kress, “Practical cone-beam algorithm,” Journal of the Optical Society of America A: Optics and Image Science, and Vision, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 612–619, 1984.
- M. Grass, Th. Köhler, and R. Proksa, “3D cone-beam CT reconstruction for circular trajectories,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 329–347, 2000.
- L. Yu, X. Pan, and C. A. Pelizzari, “Image reconstruction with a shift-variant filtration in circular cone-beam CT,” International Journal of Imaging Systems and Technology, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 213–221, 2004.
- P. Grangeat, “Mathematical framework of cone-beam 3D reconstruction via the first derivative of the Radon transform,” in Mathematical Methods in Tomography, G. T. Herman, A. K. Louis, and F. Natterer, Eds., Lecture Notes in Mathematics, pp. 66–97, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1991.
- S. W. Lee, G. Cho, and G. Wang, “Artifacts associated with implementation of the Grangeat formula,” Medical Physics, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 2871–2880, 2002.
- H. Hu, “An improved cone-beam reconstruction algorithm for the circular orbit,” Scanning, vol. 18, pp. 572–581, 1996.
- H. Yang, M. Li, K. Koizumi, and H. Kudo, “A FBP-type cone-beam reconstruction algorithm with Radon space interpolation ability for axially truncated data from a circular orbit,” in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Fully 3D Reconstruction in Radiology and Nuclear Medicine, pp. 401–404, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, July 2005.
- J. Hsieh, “A practical cone-beam artifact correction algorithm,” in Poceedings of the IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Rcord (NSS '00), vol. 2, pp. 15/71–15/74, Lyon, France, October 2000.
- K. Zeng, Z. Chen, L. Zhang, and G. Wang, “A half-scan error reduction based algorithm for cone-beam CT,” Journal of X-Ray Science and Technology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 73–82, 2004.
- K. Zeng, Z. Chen, L. Zhang, and G. Wang, “An error-reduction-based algorithm for cone-beam computed tomography,” Medical Physics, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 3206–3212, 2004.
- S. Valton, F. Peyrin, and D. Sappey-Marinier, “Generalization of 3D tomographic reconstruction algorithm FDK for an off-centred geometry,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP '05), vol. 3, pp. 620–623, Genova, Italy, September 2005.
- P. Delpierre, S. Basolo, and J. F. Berar et al., “Pixscan: pixel detector CT-scanner for small animal imaging,” in Poceedings of the IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Rcord (NSS '05), vol. 4, pp. 2381–2385, San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA, October 2005.
- C. Axelsson, Direct Fourier methods in 3D-reconstruction from cone-beam data, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Electrical Engineering, Linköping University, Linköping, Sweden, 1994, p. 123.
Copyright © 2006 S. Valton et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.